Primary Teaching Assistant – Enhancing Subject Knowledge for Teaching Primary Mathematics (St Philip Howard)
St Philip Howard
Day 1: 14 November
Day 2: 14 January
09:15 to 15:00
This FREE course is aimed at:
- Primary teaching and learning assistants and HLTAs who would benefit from developing their knowledge and understanding of the mathematics curriculum to support effective learning for their children;
- Primary teaching and learning assistants and HLTAs who wish to develop their mathematical subject knowledge to support effective learning for their children.
During the 2 days participants will:
- Develop their own subject knowledge in line with the 2014 mathematics curriculum;
- Develop some effective ways to enhance their questioning in order to support and extend the learners’ thinking;
- Explore the importance of using precise mathematical vocabulary and language and how it impacts on children’s learning;
- Understand how resources, models and images can support children’s thinking at the different stages of the primary mathematics curriculum;
- Reflect on their learning and plan to undertake follow up work in school.
This is a national NCETM work group and therefore participants will be required to:
- Keep a reflective journal that captures the impact of the work undertaken on the course and back in school;
- Complete online evaluations requested by the NCETM, including a summative impact report;
- Complete gap tasks set and reflect on these.
Please give careful consideration to the work involved when selecting participants from your school onto this work group.
This two day course is FREE, but TAs are expected to attend both days. Places will initially be limited to two per school.
The closing date for applications is Friday 8 November.
We anticipate that places for this course will fill very quickly, so would advise early booking to ensure success.
Debbie Streatfield and Faye Heath
Independent Mathematics Consultants