Enhancing Subject Knowledge for Teaching Assistants in Primary Mathematics KEY STAGES 1 & 2
Tuesday 09 March
09:00 to 12:00
Enhancing Subject Knowledge for Teaching Assistants in Primary Mathematics:
KEY STAGES 1 & 2
This FREE work group is aimed at Teaching Assistants in KS1 and KS2, particularly teaching assistants who are new to their role or have moved into a new Key Stage or practitioners with little maths specific training.
During these sessions participants will:
- Deepen and extend their own subject knowledge in mathematics;
- Explore key structures of the primary mathematics curriculum and know a range of ways to support children to develop an understanding of these;
- Develop some effective ways to enhance their questioning in order to support and extend the learners thinking;
- Explore the importance of using precise mathematical vocabulary and language and how it impacts on children’s learning;
- Understand how resources, models and images can support children’s thinking at different stages of the primary mathematics curriculum;
- Reflect on their learning and plan to undertake follow up work in school.
This is a national NCETM work group and therefore participants will be required to:
- Keep a reflective journal that captures the impact of the work undertaken on the course and back in school;
- Join and make regular contributions to an online community;
- Complete online evaluations requested by the NCETM;
- Complete a range of gap tasks in the time between the online sessions and reflect on these within the online community and with colleagues when meeting online.
Please give careful consideration to the work involved when selecting participants from your school onto this work group. Places for this work group will be limited to one per school.
This year there will be no face-to-face meetings. Most of the work group content will be delivered online within 5 taught sessions. To supplement this, participants will be required to complete a number of tasks in their own time.
Online Session 1: Tuesday 09 March 2021 (9am – 12pm)
Online Session 2: Thursday 25 March 2021 (9am – 12pm)
Online Session 3: Tuesday 20 April 2021 (9am – 12pm)
Online Session 4: Thursday 06 May 2021 (9am – 12pm)
Online Session 5: Tuesday 29 June 2021 (9am – 12pm)
Course Leaders: Debbie Streatfield and Faye Heath, Independent Mathematics Consultants – Debbie and Faye have been leading numerous highly successful primary maths courses for the Sussex Maths Hub. They are both very experienced teachers who continue to teach on a regular basis and use their up-to-date knowledge throughout their courses.