Enhancing Subject Knowledge for Teaching Primary Mathematics KEY STAGES 1 & 2
Monday 08 February
09:00 to 12:00
Enhancing Subject Knowledge for Teaching Primary Mathematics:
KEY STAGES 1 & 2
This FREE work group is aimed at teachers in KS1 and KS2, particularly NQTs, RQTs, teachers who have moved into a new Key Stage or practitioners with little maths specific training.
During these sessions participants will:
- Deepen and extend their own subject knowledge in mathematics;
- Explore key structures of the primary mathematics curriculum and consider the implications for teaching and learning;
- Understand children’s expected progression in the key structures of the primary mathematics curriculum;
- Know a range of ways to support children to develop an understanding of the key structures of mathematics;
- Reflect on their learning and plan to undertake follow up work in school.
This is a national NCETM work group and therefore participants will be required to:
- Keep a reflective journal that captures the impact of the work undertaken on the course and back in school;
- Join and make regular contributions to an online community;
- Complete online evaluations requested by the NCETM, including a summative impact report;
- Complete a range of gap tasks in the time between the online sessions and reflect on these within the online community and with colleagues when meeting online.
Please give careful consideration to the work involved when selecting participants from your school onto this work group. Places for this work group will be limited to one per school.
This year there will be no face-to-face meetings. Most of the work group content will be delivered online within 5 taught sessions. To supplement this, participants will be required to complete a number of tasks in their own time.
Online Session 1: Monday 08 February 2021 (9am – 12pm)
Online Session 2: Thursday 04 March 2021 (12.30pm – 3.30pm)
Online Session 3: Monday 29 March 2021 (9am – 12pm)
Online Session 4: Tuesday 04 May 2021 (9am – 12pm)
Online Session 5: Tuesday 25 May 2021 (9am – 12pm)
Course Leaders: Debbie Streatfield and Faye Heath, Independent Mathematics Consultants – Debbie and Faye have been leading numerous highly successful primary maths courses for the Sussex Maths Hub. They are both very experienced teachers who continue to teach on a regular basis and use their up-to-date knowledge throughout their courses.