SKTM– Secondary Non-specialist Teachers
Develop mathematical subject knowledge and understand the pedagogy that underpins the teaching of it.
SPECIALIST KNOWLEDGE FOR TEACHING MATHEMATICS – SECONDARY (NON-SPECIALISTS)
Kickstart your journey with an intensive course starting in June, finishing in September.
This project is designed to support non-specialist teachers teaching maths in a secondary school in developing specialist knowledge for teaching mathematics, thus enabling them to understand, teach and support pupils in maths in the classroom.
Who can take part?
This programme is for non-specialist teachers of maths in state-funded schools who fit the following definition:
A non-specialist teacher of mathematics is ‘a teacher that is currently teaching some mathematics who has not undertaken initial teacher training (ITT) in mathematics’.
If there is sufficient space in the cohort, other teachers of maths who do not fit this definition but would benefit from this support may also participate.
What is involved?
The programme is aligned to the NCETM teaching for mastery pedagogy and is based on six key themes:
- Structure of the number system
- Operating on number
- Multiplicative reasoning
- Sequences and graphs
- Statistics and probability
Participants will explore these themes, supported by an experienced secondary practitioner.
- 6 blended sessions (one each half term) – whole days
- Collaboration through the online Basecamp community
- Try out aspects of the Work Group back in school and record your reflections
- Contribute to the Maths Hub and NCETM final evaluation
What will you learn?
- explore and increase their use of a range of pedagogic approaches consistent with teaching
- increase their confidence in planning for progression in maths
- improve their subject and curriculum knowledge of secondary maths with a particular emphasis
on mathematical structures in key areas.
What is the cost?
The SKTM Secondary Non-specialists project is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme so is free to participating schools.
DATES FOR JUNE ARE:
- Tuesday 21st June 10:00am – 4:00pm, ONLINE
- Tuesday 28th June 09:30am – 3:30pm, FACE-to-FACE, venue TBC
- Tuesday 5th July 09:30am – 3:30pm, ONLINE