Launches online 31st October|
Online and Thomas A Becket Junior School
Subject Knowledge - Primary Teaching Assistants - WORTHING - FULLY BOOKED
These programmes are designed for primary teaching assistants who are supporting maths, and who would like to develop their specialist knowledge for teaching maths. This may be particularly relevant for new TAs or TAs that have not received maths-specific training It will run over 4 days.
Time & Location
Launches online 31st October
Online and Thomas A Becket Junior School, Glebeside Ave, Worthing BN14 7PR, UK
About the Event
The WORTHING TA's Subject Knowledge work group for 2023/24 is now full. Please submit the form below to be added to the waiting list.
Who can take part?
This programme is designed for primary teaching assistants in KS1 and KS2 who would like to develop their specialist knowledge for teaching maths. This is particularly relevant for new TAs or TAs that have not received maths-specific training.
PLEASE NOTE: MAXIMUM OF 2 TAs MAY BOOK ON PER SCHOOL
We have 2 options for Work Groups in Hastings and Worthing. This information is for the WORTHING Work Group
What will you learn?
This project is designed to improve the subject knowledge and pedagogical knowledge for all practitioners teaching and supporting the learning of primary maths.
During this workgroup participants will:
- Deepen and extend their own subject knowledge in mathematics;
- Explore key structures of the primary mathematics curriculum and know a range of ways to support children to develop an understanding of these;
- Develop some effective ways to enhance their questioning in order to support and extend the learners thinking;
- Explore the importance of using precise mathematical vocabulary and language and how it impacts on children’s learning;
- Understand how resources, models and images can support children’s thinking at different stages of the primary mathematics curriculum;
- Review their practice as a result of the sessions and make specific adaptations to support the pupils they are working with.
In addition, it is intended that pupils will demonstrate a positive attitude towards maths, being willing to have a go, persevere, and share their mathematical ideas.
What is involved?
The key structures of number sense, additive reasoning, multiplicative reasoning and fractions will be explored across four days of face to face training.
In addition to this, senior leaders and TAs will be invited to an online briefing prior to the face to face training where key messages regarding the programme will be shared.
Teaching Assistants will also be required to attend one online session at the end of the programme for final evaluation and review.
Participants and their schools must be able to commit to the full programme. In addition, participants will be required to:
- Keep a reflective journal that captures the impact of the work undertaken throughout the programme and back in school;
- Join and make regular contributions to an online community;
- Complete online evaluations requested by the NCETM;
- Undertake a range of gap tasks both individually and with learners, to deepen their thinking about the learning of mathematics. It is asked that school leaders support their staff to complete this work;
- Reflect on gap tasks within the online community, with colleagues at face to face sessions and with colleagues in school.
Please give careful consideration to the work involved when selecting participants from your school onto this work group.
What is the cost?
The SKTM Primary Teaching Assistants Programme is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme so is free to participating schools.
Worthing Work Group: Work Group Led by: Faye Heath-Lay
- Senior Leader Briefing - October 31 - 2:00 PM - 2:45 PM Online - for Senior Leaders and TAs
- Session 1 - Face to Face - November 2 - 9:15 - 2:45 PM - Thomas A Beckett, Worthing
- Session 2 - Face to Face - December 6 - 9:15 - 2:45 PM - Thomas A Beckett, Worthing
- Session 3 - Face to Face - January 17 - 9:15 - 2:45 PM - Thomas A Beckett, Worthing
- Session 4 - Face to Face - March 20 - 9:15 - 2:45 PM - Thomas A Beckett, Worthing
- Online Evaluation - May 21 - 2:00 PM - 2:45 PM - Online