Fri, 24 Nov|
St Paul's Catholic College
Subject Knowledge - Primary Early Career Teachers
Participants will be those identified as Early Career Teachers – teachers in their first or second year of teaching. If participants were unable to engage in their first two years, Maths Hub Leads can consider those in their third year of teaching. Run over 4 face to face sessions + Gap tasks
Time & Location
24 Nov 2023, 14:00
St Paul's Catholic College, Jane Murray Way, Burgess Hill RH15 8GA, UK
About the Event
Who can take part?
This programme is designed for teachers in primary schools who are in their first (NQTs) or second (RQTs) year of teaching who would benefit from:
- Deepening their mathematics pedagogy through opportunities to observe and analyse effective teaching and learning;
- Deepening their subject knowledge in key aspects of mathematics that underpin children’s mathematical learning;
- Building confidence with planning, teaching and assessing effective sequences of lessons in mathematics that support children to make good progress.
This will be a two year programme. Phase 1 is for those identified as Early Career Teachers. Phase 2 is for those in the early part of their careers who have engaged with Phase 1.
What will you learn?
The work group is designed to support the Early Careers Framework giving these teachers access to fully funded structured training and support linked to the best available research evidence with dedicated time to focus on their development.
During this work group participants will:
• Deepen and extend their own subject knowledge in early number concepts and number sense;
• Explore key structures of early number and number sense;
• Understand children’s expected progression in the key structures of early number and number sense;
• Know a range of ways to support children to develop an understanding of the key structures of early number and number sense;
• Analyse lessons in order to reflect on effective teaching and learning in mathematics;
• Design effective sequences of lessons in mathematics;
• Reflect on the impact of effective sequences of teaching on children’s learning;
• Undertake follow up work in school
• Undertake a collaborative learning task alongside a colleague/colleagues from the work group.
This is a national NCETM work group and therefore participants will be required to:
• Keep reflections that captures the impact of the work undertaken during the work group and back in school;
• Join and make regular contributions to an online community;
• Complete online evaluations requested by the NCETM, including a summative impact report;
• Undertake a range of gap tasks, both individually and with identified learners, to deepen their thinking about their learning of mathematics. It is asked that school leaders support their staff to complete this work. Maths Leads/Mentors will be invited to join some sessions to understand and support their ECTs’ learning;
• Reflect on gap tasks within the online community, with colleagues at face-to-face sessions, and with colleagues and senior leaders in school.
Please give careful consideration to the work involved when selecting participants from your school onto this work group.
What is the cost?
The SKTM Primary Early Career Teachers Programme is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme so is free to participating schools.
Pre Work Group BreifingOnline
5 hours 45 minutes
Session 1 - Face to FaceSt Pauls Catholic College